Understanding RecordArray LLVM IR

hi there, I’m looking into Incorrect result copying array-typed field of structured array in 0.55.0rc1 · Issue #7693 · numba/numba · GitHub and I need some help/information.

Backgroud

I’m trying to understand the differences between functions set1 (which doesn’t work as per issue above) and set2 which does work.

import numpy as np
from numba import njit

src_dtype = np.dtype([
    ("user", np.float64),
    ("array", np.int16, (3,))
], align=True)

dest_dtype = np.dtype([
    ("user1", np.float64),
    ("array1", np.int16, (3,))
], align=True)

source = np.empty(5, dtype=src_dtype)
dest = np.empty(5, dtype=dest_dtype)
source[0] = (1.2, [1, 2, 3])

@njit
def set1(index, src, dest):
    dest['array1'] = src[index]['array']
    return dest

@njit
def set2(index, src, dest):
    dest['array1'][:] = src[index]['array']
    return dest

set1(0, source, dest[0])
print(dest[0])
set2(0, source, dest[0])
print(dest[0])

The numba ir of set1 seems fine (I guess), full ir here: set1_numba_ir - Pastebin.com
This part seems to handle the assignment, and I can’t see anything obviously wrong

$const8.3 = const(str, array)  :: Literal[str](array)
$10binary_subscr.4 = static_getitem(value=$6binary_subscr.2, index=array, index_var=$const8.3, fn=<built-in function getitem>) 
dest['array1'] = $10binary_subscr.4

Not seeing anything wrong in the numba ir, I’m now looking at LLVM IR to see how the assignment works at that level. I didn’t get very far because I’m confused by how the record array is represented in LLVM IR.
My understanding of the representation of normal, non-record arrays is that they are described by seven members in the data model

members = [
            ('meminfo', types.MemInfoPointer(fe_type.dtype)),
            ('parent', types.pyobject),
            ('nitems', types.intp),
            ('itemsize', types.intp),
            ('data', types.CPointer(fe_type.dtype)),
            ('shape', types.UniTuple(types.intp, ndim)),
            ('strides', types.UniTuple(types.intp, ndim)),
        ]

which translate to seven variables in llvm.

i8* %arg.arr.0, 
i8* %arg.arr.1,
i64 %arg.arr.2, 
i64 %arg.arr.3, 
double* %arg.arr.4, 
i64 %arg.arr.5.0, 
i64 %arg.arr.6.0

For a record array I see different llvm ir

i8* %arg.arr.0, 
i8* %arg.arr.1, 
i64 %arg.arr.2, 
i64 %arg.arr.3, 
[8 x i8]* %arg.arr.4, 
i64 %arg.arr.5.0, 
i64 %arg.arr.6.0

This was generated from this python array np.zeros(3, dtype=[('a', np.float64)]). The data member is an array pointer, but I don’t understand the [8 x i8] part. Why 8 times i8?

Thanks,
Luk

The 8 x i8 part is because an array of bytes is used to represent a record - your record contains a single float64, which requires 8 bytes to represent. If you had a dtype like:

dtype = [('a', np.float64), ('b', np.float64)]

then you’d see 16 x i8. To access the individual members Numba implements an index calculation and then a cast to the correct data type - for example accessing b would offset the address of the element by 8 then cast that to a double.

is this a common thing to do? I was reading the LLVM reference manual and it seems that LLVM IR has support for structures. I thought I would see those in the code.

I couldn’t find this bitcast trick in the llvm output from inspect_llvm but I found it in the llvm ir generated by numba which I extracted during debugging. I’m guessing this “raw” llvm IR is the IR before optimizations.
I found the cast you were describing, but I’m confused as how it works:

%".129" = getelementptr inbounds [16 x i8], [16 x i8]* %"arg.dest", i32 0, i32 8 
  %".130" = bitcast i8* %".129" to {i8*, i8*, i64, i64, i16*, [1 x i64], [1 x i64]}*

As a reminder, this is the struct definition

dest_dtype = np.dtype([
    ("user1", np.float64),
    ("array1", np.int16, (3,))
], align=True)

As you said, I can see the data represented as [16 x i8]. Then the first line, %".129" represents the array1 element, ie the second half of the [16 x i8] array.
The second line confuses me. This remaining [8 x i8] array represents the data of a lenght-3 int16 nested array (plus padding). Why is it being bitcast to {i8*, i8*, i64, i64, i16*, [1 x i64], [1 x i64]} ? Am I wrong to think this bitcast is actually going outside the array?

Luk

This is the manifestation of the bug #7693 - I think you are looking right at the problem here :slightly_smiling_face:

I have it…as soon as I figure out where it’s coming from :slight_smile:

1 Like