Lets use Python type annotations

Guys, I am wondering if Numba will support native CPython type annotations ?

CPython type annotations so powerful that it allow to annotate argument with whatever object:

def sum(i: int, k: int):
    pass

def sum(i: numba.i32, k: numba.i32):
    pass

def for_loop(n: np.array):
    pass

def for_loop(n: np.byte):
    pass

Benefits of this is that users in they code should not maintain two separate annotation systems and code would be cleaner :wink:

Share your opinion, lets discuss !!

Personally, I would prefer that Numba does not read my variable annotations. The reason is that I currently use mypy to check my code (so I want to annotate), but I donā€™t want to declare the inputs to my jitted functions.

Numba does an excellent job in figuring the types of the inputs, and compiling correctly based on that. I donā€™t think there are many cases in which manual annotations are superior (for the njit decorator).

Explicit typing is mostly unnecessary, in some case it is harmful (many people fall for the float64[:] trap), and in some cases impossible (eg structured arrays created out of csv files).

Numba is different from Cython where annotations improve performance. Thereā€™s no performance benefit to annotations in Numba njit (cfunc is a different problem).

Just my two cents,
Luk

Disagree, I have experience with many languages (C, C++, Java, C#, Python, even JavaScript and TypeScript) and I have found a lots of benefits with using annotation that allow me to find issues earlier

Python so powerful that they allow express even something like concepts in C++ World, meaning they allow to say that argument could be any type that implement some functionality like Iterator

Maintaining two annotation systems sometime good, but some time Numba could just check if argument annotated with python int then apply some optimization and generate code

Anyway I do want only provide annotations as alternative to njit

@redradist, I am not sure on what you are disagreeing with. You said that annotations allow to find issues earlier, and I said that I ā€œcurrently use mypy to check my codeā€. So we are in agreement there.

What I said next is that mypy annotations are useful, but Numba explicit typing is most of the time not necessary, ie I would write functions like this:

@njit
def foo(x: int):
    return 1

Writing like this is currently valid in Numba, and it that allows mypy to perform static typing, and allows Numba to do type inference on the inputs, and you get the best of both worlds.

Are you disagreeing with my statement that Numba inputs do not need type declarations most of the time?

Okay, seems like I have not got your point at first time :wink:

What actually I propose is that instead of using such code:

@njit("int32(int32)")
def f(x): ...

lets write it like this:

@njit
def f(x: numba.int32) -> numba.int32: ...

In such way I have to support only one type annotation system

Thanks for clarifying. How would you express array inputs? I donā€™t think mypy has a way to write float64[:,:].

One of my points was that @njit("int32(int32)") is mostly unnecessary and @njit is the better option in many use-cases (probably most use cases). What would happen in your proposal if someone writes

@njit
def f(x: int) -> int:

Would Numba read that annotation or ignore it?

The point is that you donā€™t need to support two annotations, because ("int32(int32) can be omitted most of the time.

float64[:,:] here is how it could be done:

class float64: # Custom annotation class
    def __getitem__(self, item):
        # Some value should be set to identify that float64[:], float64[:,:] or etc.
        return self

float64 = float64()

def for_loop(n: float64[:,:]):
    pass

Iā€™m not expert in the topic but I think mypy still has problem expressing certain types, especially regarding numpy arrays. all these issues are still open:

For example, I think integer generics are necessary to describe Numbaā€™s UniTuple type.

Python annotations is just an object (any object) that express intent ā€¦
You can just make yourā€™s annotations and when issue with mypy annotation will be fixed, just to switch to mypy annotation
Iā€™ve just created one for you :wink: