Guvectorize: function returns previous value of one of the inputs?

I haven’t used numba extensively so it’s entirely possible that I’m just doing something dumb here, but I encountered a very strange result and I’m not sure if it’s a bug or my own fault.

I wrote a function that implements softmax with an analytical derivative w.r.t the input values. My original attempt appeared to work for some inputs (2D arrays) but when called with a 1D array returns the value of its second argument from the previous invocation. It’s very odd.

This is my original attempt, which demonstrates the bug:

@numba.guvectorize([(float64[:], float64, float64, float64[:])],
                   '(n),()->(),(n)',
                   target='cpu')
def softmax_test(x, alpha, sm, dsm):
  eax = np.exp(alpha * x)

num = np.sum(x * eax)
  den = np.sum(eax)

sm = num / den
  dsm = eax * (den*(1+alpha*x) - alpha*num)/(den**2)

x = np.random.rand(10,1000)

sm, dsm = softmax_test(x, -10.4)
print(sm)
#prints correct output

sm, dsm = softmax_test(x[4,:], -10.4)
print(sm)
#-10.4

sm, dsm = softmax_test(x[4,:], -10.5)
print(sm)
#-10.4

sm, dsm = softmax_test(x[4,:], -10.6)
print(sm)
#-10.5

Here is my current version which does not show the strange behavior, and always produces correct results as far as I can tell. Maybe this is just the correct way to write it, and that’s fine with me, but my reading of the documentation leads me to believe that my original version should have worked, and regardless the failure mode is nuts!

@numba.guvectorize([(float64[:], float64[:], float64[:], float64[:])],
                   '(n),()->(),(n)',
                   target='cpu')
def softmax(x, alpha, sm, dsm):
  eax = np.exp(alpha * x)

num = np.sum(x * eax)
  den = np.sum(eax)

sm[:] = num / den
  dsm[:] = eax * (den*(1+alpha*x) - alpha*num)/(den**2)

So: have I found a bug (possibly a documentation bug) or is this user error?

Hi @colin-kingsley,

I think the issue with the first example is that it’s breaking this condition?

Contrary to vectorize() functions, guvectorize() functions don’t return their result value: they take it as an array argument, which must be filled in by the function. This is because the array is actually allocated by NumPy’s dispatch mechanism, which calls into the Numba-generated code.

Docs:
https://numba.readthedocs.io/en/stable/user/vectorize.html#the-guvectorize-decorator

I also think that if a scalar is being mutated/assigned it has to be declared as an array. The combination of these two things should hopefully explain why the second item works.

Improvements to the documentation and additional examples for the docs are welcomed!

Do I understand correctly that your point is specifically about the fact that the documentation snippet says array arguments? In other words, all outputs must be arrays, even if scalar?

I think that makes sense. I seem to recall that the mutation was also causing a problem and I had to copy some inputs, at one point… although to be honest I have this code working now and haven’t looked at it in weeks.

In any event, thanks for your feedback!